Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Re: Resolution Calling on Obama Administration to move 9/11 Terror Trial Out of New York Overwhelmingly Passes State Senate

Dear Senator Leibell,

It seems to me that a nation of laws would be proud to hold a trial such as this in what most would consider the capitol of the world and that "cost" would not be a factor. But it pains me as it should any American, to see these trials pushed into the darkness of a military tribunal. Its the nations who do not trust their system of justice that do these things and history is filled with the detritus of their passing, usually over the bodies of their vanquished.

I had hoped this nation would be able to rise above that but I see, thanks to you and your fellows, that my nation has failed to be what it claims to be.

JmG





On 2/9/2010 9:31 PM, Vincent L. Leibell wrote:


While the Obama administration is still considering conducting the terror
trial in New York City , despite public outcry, I am pleased to announce
that today my colleagues and I in the State Senate overwhelmingly won
passage of a resolution calling on the administration to reverse its
decision.

The resolution (J3889) took on added importance following the President's
refusal Sunday to commit to moving the trial out of New York.  Law
enforcement officials estimate the failure to change course could cost
State and City taxpayers up to $1 billion in increased security costs and
put New Yorkers at risk.

To view footage of the debate on this important issue from the Senate
Chamber, click here.

Holding the terror trial in New York would unnecessarily put New Yorkers at
risk and have a staggering economic impact on businesses, disrupt city
residents, and cost taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars.  As the
President waffles on a matter of extreme importance to New York, I am
pleased that the Senate has overwhelmingly voiced its opposition to the
Obama administration's plan.  I urge Congress to stand with us in support
of this resolution.

If you haven't already, you can sign my online petition at
nysenate.gov/trials . You can also join the new "Move the Terror Trials"
Facebook page
that I established.

Sincerely,

Senator Vincent L. Leibell

Please click here to Opt-Out of future mailings.


Intelisend